Alert: We are currently working on redesigning our webpage. If you have any concerns or suggestions, please contact Jarod Mills, Director of Technology at jarod.mills@ksd.kyschools.us
Close alert
Text Options for the Visually Impaired Font Size: a- A+ Color: A A A Revert 
Close vision bar
Open vision bar

Jacobs Hall Museum

Christmas Tours flyer 2017

 

Jacobs Hall
Jacobs Hall and Jacobs Hall Museum

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JACOBS HALL

 

On November 11, 1857, the Superintendent and the female students moved into the newly-constructed Main Building of the Kentucky Institution.  Now, 160 years later, we are celebrating the opening of our glorious building. Join us for birthday cake on December 8 and December 9 during our Christmas weekend at Jacobs Hall.  See the poster below the article.

In 2013 Kentucky Educational Television (KET) and the Kentucky chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) named Jacobs Hall Museum one of the ten best building in Kentucky, from among a group of fifty architecturally significant buildings in Kentucky. 

 

Jacobs Hall was continuously, from 1857 until 1965, the residence for female deaf students enrolled at the first state residential school for the Deaf in Danville, founded in 1823 as the Kentucky Asylum for the Tuition of the Deaf and Dumb with the name changed to the Kentucky Institution for Deaf-Mutes and, in 1905,  to the Kentucky School for the Deaf.  Female students lived in about half of the living space of Jacobs Hall  for 10 months of the year until after World War II, then two months straight with a weekend with parents, and later 1 month straight with a weekend with parents.  By 1840 students enrolled for up to ten years, as long as they were making good progress.  About 100 girls lived in Jacobs Hall by 1890.

 

On the right side of the building on each floor were apartments -- for the superintendent and his family (first and later second floors)  and essential staff members. Successive KSD superintendents occupied this residence from 1857 until 2002.

 

Nineteenth and early 20th century census records list the students and superintendent as residents of the Kentucky Institution.  We have a student card for each student who attended the school from 1823 to the present. Each card shows the student's years of attendance, status on leaving (graduate certificate, certificate of attendance, and other information.

 

The Museum has been open since 2007.  Many of the rooms have been restored to their nineteenth century look and several are furnished as they were in the late 1800’s – dormitory rooms, superintendent’s quarters with two parlors, dining room, study, The furnishings are late Victorian, many donated by the fdescendants of John Jacobs (teacher and superintendent from 1826-1869).

 

 

Open Monday - Friday by Appointment
Closed Major Holidays
Tours by Appointment Only

Watch the website for special events and special tours.
Admission: Adults $5.00
6 -18 $1.00
Under 6 Free

For more information contact
rhonda.bodner@ksd.kyschools.us
 joann.hamm@ksd.kyschools.us
859-936-6813

Jacobs Hall Museum is located on the campus of Kentucky School for the Deaf on Second Street, three blocks south of Main Street. Museum parking is available behind Jacobs Hall.

 

Christmas Tours Flyer

 

Photos

  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor
  • Third Floor
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit - Classroom
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Third Floor Exhibit
  • Second Floor
  • Second Floor Exhibit
  • Stairwell from the Second Floor
  • Second Floor
  • Second Floor Exhibit
  • Second Floor Exhibit
  • Second Floor - Quilt
  • Second Floor Fireplace
  • Second Floor Exhibit
  • Second Floor Exhibit
  • Second Floor
  • Second Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor Exhibit
  • Second Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor Exhibit
  • Second Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor
  • First Floor
  • First Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor
  • First Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor Exhibit
  • First Floor
  • Exterior of Jacobs Hall with fence
  • Front View
  • Back of Jacobs Hall
  • On the front porch
  • Exterior of Jacobs Hall
  • Exterior of Jacobs Hall
  • Exterior of Jacobs Hall
back to top