Campus Based Outreach Services
Evaluations are provided at no cost at KSD
For an appointment, contact Sarah McCurry.
Specialized Evaluation Team
Professionals who have extensive experience working with deaf & hard of hearing students.
- School Psychologists
- Speech Language Pathologists
The evaluation is administered in the language & communication mode of the child and may include:
Statewide Audiological Evaluation
- Developmental Assessment
- Cognitive Functioning
- Academic Achievement
- Social-emotional Functioning
- Social/Developmental History
- Speech Language Evaluation
The local school district and parents are provided with an integrated psycho-educational report. The report includes recommendations based on the evaluation results. These recommendations are offered to the Admissions and Release Committee (ARC) for consideration in developing the student’s educational program and making placement decisions.
Tours of KSD can be arranged for parents and students interested in acquiring more information.
Family Support Center
Serving Kentucky’s Families of Children Who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing
The Statewide Family Support Center (SFSC) is a resource for every family in Kentucky with a child who is deaf or hard of hearing. This unique center offers services that will enable you to better meet the needs of your Deaf or hard of hearing child.
- The SFSC promotes or provides:
- Family involvement in the child’s education
- Networking with other families
- Resources, referrals, information
- Workshops on a variety of topics,
- Early intervention services in Central Kentucky
- Information for professionals and service providers
- Family Education in Central Kentucky
- The SFSC houses the Instructional Materials Resource Center (IMRC), a free-loan lending library for families and professionals. Also, information on the Described and Captioned Media Program (www.dcmp.org)which has free-loan educational media that is described, captioned, and available to families and professionals on the Internet and through the U.S. mail.
- SFSC provides a bi-monthly newsletter, and a Family Learning Vacation weekend.
KSD Outreach is excited to announce the dates for our spring 2018 student events. Using your feedback, we have made efforts to revamp these events with a consistent emphasis toward empowering students through targeting deaf and hard of hearing expanded core skills. We even have a new name for the events – ACES (Advocacy, Community, Empowerment, Socialization).